RB Leipzig sack Marco Rose after poor run in Bundesliga and Europe

by Anadolu Agency

ISTANBUL

RB Leipzig have dismissed head coach Marco Rose following a disappointing season that has left them sixth in the Bundesliga and eliminated from the Champions League.

“Marco Rose has been relieved of his duties as RB Leipzig head coach with immediate effect. His coaching team of Alexander Zickler, Marco Kurth and Frank Geideck have also left the club, along with Frank Aehlig (head of first team football),” Leipzig said in a statement.

Rose, 48, took charge of Leipzig in September 2022. Under Rose’s guidance, Leipzig won the German Cup in 2022-23 and the German Super Cup in 2023.

However, their recent form has been poor, with just three wins in their last 11 Bundesliga matches. Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Monchengladbach proved to be the final blow.

Their Champions League campaign also ended in disappointment, as they finished 32nd in the newly formatted league phase.

Rose, who previously coached Red Bull Salzburg, Borussia Monchengladbach, and Borussia Dortmund, was under contract until June 2026.

The club has said his successor will be announced “shortly.”

Leipzig will face Stuttgart in the semifinals on Wednesday.

You may also like